Offline <span class="highlight">satellite</span> photos

Submitted: Friday, Dec 09, 2022 at 21:03
ThreadID: 145109 Views:3085 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hello
Please excuse my ignorance.
I have just purchased all the ExplorOz maps.
I am using a Samsung S8+ tablet.
Can satellite photos be downloaded, so they can be used when mobile and there is no internet connection ?
Any assistance would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Dec 10, 2022 at 08:02

Saturday, Dec 10, 2022 at 08:02
Unfortunately no, Mark.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 642276

Reply By: Member - peter_mcc - Monday, Dec 12, 2022 at 14:15

Monday, Dec 12, 2022 at 14:15
There are other ways to do it - years ago I used OsmAnd+. You had to scroll around at the required zoom level while you were connected to the internet and it saved the images. You could then look at them again when you weren't connected. Time consuming!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 642289

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2022 at 13:35

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2022 at 13:35
Australia topomaps can do the same but very tedious and bits of the download can fail. At any useful scale you are looking at downloading thousands of tiles.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 921803

Follow Up By: Member - peter_mcc - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2022 at 13:46

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2022 at 13:46
It was pretty tedious with OsmAnd+ - hours of scrolling around loading images. It was kinda interesting, following the tracks on the satellite image that we were planning to follow on the ground. But it needed some definite planning - not something you do the night before.

You also only get the zoom level that you've scrolled around in.

My suggestion to anyone going down that path is to download a small area then take your tablet offline to see how it works (zooming in/out, scrolling, reaching the edge of the downloaded area, etc).

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 921804

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Dec 14, 2022 at 07:01

Wednesday, Dec 14, 2022 at 07:01
All Mapsoft make several map downloaders that can download up to about 100 sources including google, Bing, and Here Sat photos off line.

I use Offline Map Maker which can output to Jpeg, SQLite, KMZ, Geotiff etc. You can download multiple zoom levels and you can specify the area to download as a rectangle or as a boundary defined by a GPX file.

I find level 16 or 17 zoom is a good compromise between detail and download data.

I have downloaded the entire Victorian High country and download any area that is remote and I plan to visit.

When I do trips like Googs, Simpson etc, I use the GPX boundary method and select a strip several kms either side of the tracks, to minimise download and storage data compared to rectangles which may be 99% non useful pics and storage. I draw the GPX boundary as a track on another platform then inport it into OMM.

Hours of fun. I am not sure if it works with Exploroz though. It definitely works with Memory Map, Ozi or Orux etc.

You can use it for free but it only zooms into level 12 or something.

Note you can download a LOT of data, especially as you zoom in, and Google will limit you to about 10000 tiles at a time. You may have to restart the download or keep maps to a size that is under the google limit.

https://www.allmapsoft.com/

https://www.allmapsoft.com/omm/index.html

AnswerID: 642300

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Dec 18, 2022 at 20:22

Sunday, Dec 18, 2022 at 20:22
Thanks for links - haven't see them - MOBAC is possibly better...but requires some longtime usage and/or research (as some sources blocked,...maybe :) - I use it all the time. It's great. PS Nothing will work with EOs product except what they provide which is fine as its hot ...but if you need variety custom maps are great for Oziexplorer ,TwoNav etc.

MOBAC

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 921854

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Dec 19, 2022 at 06:31

Monday, Dec 19, 2022 at 06:31
Thanks, Greg, I used to use MOBAC but stopped because it needs Java which has many security issues.

I removed Java under the recommendation that it poses one of the largest issues for hacking.

FollowupID: 921856

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2022 at 16:42

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2022 at 16:42
I shall continue on using it in ignorant bliss.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 921884

Sponsored Links